Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Oct 2000 19:52:59 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Westy Water Filler Solution!
Comments: To: Syncro <Syncro@egroups.com>

Many people have reported having difficulty filling the Westy Water tank. I have come up with a solution for the later model fillers... square black plastic filler... plastic key opens top which hinges out and down.

First I identified the problem to be that black rubber baffle about an inch inside the filler neck. This baffle was probably intended to keep things like bugs and dust out of the water tank... but it also inhibits the entry of water... I think it took me 15 or 20 minutes one time to fill the tank from a hose... and still wasn't sure the tank was full because there is so much spillage that it's not obvious if any water is going into the tank or not! (not to mention the looks of people in small desert towns as I spill their precious water out onto the ground!)

Solution... I took a pair of needle nose pliers... reached in and pulled out the rubber baffle by breaking off the three directional plastic grill that it mounts to.... careful to keep pieces out of the water tank... a good reason not to use a hack saw that would allow plastic shavings into the tank. You could also remove the entire filler unit, pull the fill tubing from the back , and then cut the baffle/grill assembly out.

Now, to keep the bugs and dust out now that the rubber baffle is gone? Turns out a simple 1 1/8 sink drain plug works perfectly (pick one with a low profile)... actually better that the original rubber baffle that I removed.

Result? ... Large water jug with a pour spout... the water filler will now take the water as fast as the jug can supply it... no drips!

From a hose... no problem.. fill the tank in 2 or 3 minutes... no drips! Want a shut off at the end of the hose... no problem... go to RV store and buy the filler tube with valve ... the one that was always too big to fit beyond the original rubber baffle...

Water from jugs with no spout? ... no problem... turns out the filler door opens to form a funnel... it does leak at the bottom, but a short piece of duct tape at the bottom edge of the door (after it's open) stops almost all of that... just pour into the door opening of the filler!

One more solution.... want to fill from one of those really big 5 gallon purified water jugs?... but don't want to hold 40 lbs. up while pouring?

My solution: I bought a small submersible pump at a RV parts place in Sacramento (Model 160-8 made by Leisure Components 16730 Gridley Rd, Cerritos, CA 90703). This 12 volt submersible will pump 3 gallons a minute... hook it up to the mail end of a cigarette lighter plug (buy at FLAPS) and you simply drop the pump into the jug (I measured one brand of 5 gallon jug to have a 1 5/8" inside diameter inlet... the diameter of the pump is 1 1/2") and let it do the work of pumping the water into your tank. (If certain brands of large jugs have openings smaller than the pump diameter you can just pour the water into a jug with a larger opening... I bought a 5 gallon collapsible at REI for this and other purposes... or just pour directly into the van filler 'funnel' if you feel strong).

BTW this is the same pump that I have in my water tank so the 2nd one that I use for filling from large jugs also acts as a spare in case the one inside the water tank burns up while I'm out in a remote area.

So that's about it... no more fill problems!!!

Bill