Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:44:13 -0700
From:         Ken wallich <ken@WALLICH.COM>
Subject:      86 Syncro GL $3500 -San Jose, CA
Comments: To: syncro@onelist.com

I outfited this to be the family camping van, but I wanted a economical commute car as well, and something has to go, not enough space to park everything.

Executive Summary:

Babe (the big blue Ox), a very good running '86 GL Syncro, Blue, fold down rear seat (not a bed), middle bench (non-folding). ~123K miles. Good interior, pretty good exterior (mostly small parking dings, dent in rear hatch from someone pushing it in the past, dinged up sliding door). Pricing it at "Fair condition" Wholesale Kelly Blue Book so some Syncro fan can own it, instead of giving it to a dealer. This was my daily driver to work, and the family camping vehicle.

Details:

What's new this year:

- New Sony in-dash CD stereo, with brand new MB Quart in-door speakers ~$350 - New Master Cylinder ~$200 - New Clutch ~$300 (~1k miles 2/00) - New Weddle Engineering Syncro transaxle ~$2500 (~1k miles 2/00) - New BFG 27/850R All-terrains ~$500 (~1k miles 2/00) - New Old Man Emu shocks (from Fast Forward 2/00) ~$300

OK, so that's about $4200 in parts this year to outfit her, but cars are depreciating assets after all :-). Virtually everything works. Clock, defroster, heaters front and under the back seat, vents, turn signals, headlights, brake lights, interior lights. Newish rear hatch struts too! The reverse lights don't work. Nothing wrong in back, must be the switch up front, never fixed it.

What's wrong:

- I whacked bottom of the sliding door pretty well. Had a guy pound it out, but it looks like some guy with a hammer banged it out Still works fine, and seals fine, but looks pretty bad from the lower ridge on down.

- Windshield has a crack. Rock on 101 about a month or two ago, right at the top edge, straight down in front of the driver. Not so bad that it bothered my vision, so I left it until something else happened.

- Low oil warning sensor problems. Had the oil pressure checked, it's great. Had the sensor replaced, still has intermittent problems. The buzzer and light go off, often won't stop for a while (very annoying). Last time (a couple months ago), they cleaned the flexi-circuit board, and it worked OK. Happened again last week. When driving on bumpy roads, it can tend to go off. I was about to just remove it and put in an oil pressure gauge, but since I'm selling for so much less than just my recent improvments, I'm leaving it. It's at Penninsula Automotive today checking it all over and making the buzzing stop for a while.

- Reverse lights don't.

-Smells a little like my Mastiff inside :x).

Interior is mostly great. One or two small dings in the seating fabric, and some assorted tears in the perforated stuff around the sides.

OK, that's the skinny. I'm not really planning on bargaining on price, I've watched what people are trying to sell them for, and for the condition she's in with all the new parts, and nothing else really wrong, she's underpriced for a quick sale to a vanagon fan. If you just bought her, tore off the tires, shocks, and transaxle, you'd be doing pretty well at $3500.

Send me email if you're interested, and we can schedule a viewing.