Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Oct 2000 09:23:03 -0400
From:         Joe Romas <jromas@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need help with old gasket removal
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@YAHOO.COM>

Steven

Use a putty knife on the gasket, it's strong enough to remove the gasket but not sharp enough to gouge the soft surface. To clean out the hole, go to a hardware or auto parts store and get a tap of the correct size. Take a bolt and nut to make sure you get the correct size. Gently screw it in the hole and clean up the existing threads. Make sure you get it started in the existing threads, don't force it, so you don't cut new threads and distroy the old ones. Also while your at the parts store get some "anti seeze" to put on the new bolts. That's good insurance incase you have to remove anything again. And as things go, since you've used it you won't have to remove it again!

Joe

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Johnson" <sjohnso2000@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2000 8:45 AM Subject: Need help with old gasket removal