Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:51:56 -0600
From:         Tony Demille <tony@CANDESA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Maple Syrup?
Comments: To: "JKrevnov@AOL.COM" <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>

not sure if anyone has said this already, but it sounds like you have a rear heater core leak. it COULD be the plastic "T", which sometimes breaks, but more than likely it's the core. i just replaced mine and the "butterscotch" smell is now gone. have you checked for coolant under the rear heater or coagulating on the fins of the heater itself? i bet if you look under your heater under the mat and carpet you'll find some coolant. if not, you've caught it early. the core i just purchased from my local vw parts place was around $90 with tax. but, i'm sure someone online has one cheaper. the replacement is super easy.

last thought; if you don't need the heat(er) you can remove the whole unit and create a "U" out of heater hose thus bypassing the problem.

hope that helps out some

Tony DeMille Creative Director/VW lover Candesa Interactive 251 River Park Dr. Provo, Utah 84604