Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:27:47 -0400
From:         Bob O'Shaughnessy <vanagon@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dansk exhaust system junk?

greg rich (greg4vwparts@USA.NET) said on the date of 10/10/00 2:03 PM

>Hi All >I do not mean any harm to the Bus Depot nor am I implicating any slander >BUT I

Slander no, but it would be much more accurate, and much less incendeary if you had titled your message "Dansk exhaust system junk." If I were Ron, or one of the list admins (and I'm neither) I'd have a polite p-mail for you.

>purchased a complete exhaust system (for 1.9) from them May 1999. I am >restoring a 1985 Westy that is 3 years so far and just started to install a >new motor. When I tried to bolt the exhaust to the motor the pieces do not >fit. The front pipe will not go over the cylinder head studs for the pipe, >and >I tried a used pipe and it will not meet up with the collector pipe-off by a >1/4". I called the Bus Depot and they basically will not do anything cause I >bought so long ago! Anyone have similar problems getting the Dansk exhaust >pipes to fit???? The new pipe seems to be off a tiny bit, it will not go over >the studs, perhaps it is not bent enough at a bend. I cannot bend it >myself as >the pipes are quite strong and I DO NOT want any problems down the road. >Anyone have any suggestions?

Heat and hammers, as someone has already suggested. Rigid exaust systems are a bitch. The Dansk system (or is it a Mid-State Imports system, as that's where I bought it) that I installed on my old 84 took two days, lots of drilling and banging, and flames, and two gaskets at the 2-into-1 tube to get everything to fit correctly and not leak. The S&S system I have on my 85 was only slightly better.

Shouldn't the Bus Depot be more willing to help? > After a year and a half? No.

Bob O'Shaughnessy, Columbus, OH vanagon@columbus.rr.com 99 A3 Jetta TDI 85GL with basic Westy interior 74 Bus (Dad's) 72 Wife, 94 Rabbit, 95 Cat, 96 cat, 98 Kid 11/00 Kid! 52 House