Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:47:29 EDT
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bus depot exhaust system junk?

In a message dated 10/10/00 2:08:00 PM, greg4vwparts@USA.NET writes:

<< Anyone have any suggestions? >>

Greg,

Don't write me off as a smart-ass but, the short of it is the Dansk exhaust components suck. I used their parts twice before I came to my senses. Both times, I had to fuss around with spacers and elongating the flange holes in order to get them bolted up only to be greeted with a lifespan that was 1/3 that of the VW offering. VW's literature claims that their exhaust systems are fabricated from a cast iron alloy. I do not know exactly what that means other than they last so much longer than the Dansk's parts that they end up being much cheaper.

Forget about bending them cold unless you can find a mandrel bender with the same tight radius. If you are familiar with using the hot end of a torch, you could use localized heat to draw them into alignment. The downside to this is that taking whatever material Dansk uses for their pipes up to a yellow heat may effect the metallurgical properties to the point where their limited durability is reduced even more.

It seems to me if the Depot starts exchanging Dansk components which do not fit up, that is all they will be doing.

Rich