Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Oct 2000 20:44:46 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bus depot exhaust system junk?

> I replaced my exhaust system with parts that I ordered > from the Bus Depot. It was a time consuming and dirty > job, but it all went together eventually.

> I can't even get the pipes I took off last week to fit back on > perfectly! What's up with that? > If you ever plan to take the system apart again I recommend lots > of anti-seize compound

> This is not something that is because of the bus depot. I don't think i > have ever had an exhaust system fit 100% fine the first time. I seem to > always have to bend it a bit. Sometimes a 1/2" or so.

> Dansk exhaust components suck. I used their parts twice. > Both times, I had to fuss around with spacers and elongating the > flange holes in order to get them bolted up

As other listmembers seem to be confirming, fitting exhaust systems is a b*tch. This is not limited to Dansk exhaust, but also Leistritz, Ansa, Bosal, Ernst, and everybody else's. The Dansk systems we sell for the Vanagons are one of our most popular items; we ship maybe one kit every day. Of all of those shipped, I have had three complaints _ever_ about a pipe that wouldn't fit. I would guess that even in those two cases, it was more a matter of the person not realizing how difficult fitting an exhaust system can be. I also realize that far more than three people spent plenty of time swearing and banging on tight-fitting pipes etc., but many had been though this before and realized that it is par for the course with exhaust, hence they did not complain.

I have compared the Dansk pipes against the VW ones and they are indeed bent the same. As far as overall lifespan, I have seen no marked difference there either, especially considering the huge difference in price. On the wasserboxers, the weakness tends to be stress cracks, a problem that is common to both the Dansk and the OE stuff over time and is basically a design flaw if you want to call it that. Given that your only two choices are Dansk or the expensive stuff from the Dealer (or of course the S&S stuff, which typically fits a bit worse than the Dansk and doesn't hold up quite as well, but is a bit cheaper), the Dansk is definately your best bet. While there are cheaper, poorer fitting systems made for other VW vans (i.e. Brazilian, Mexican, Chinese), the Dansk is presently the only aftermarket O.E. style system for the Vanagon out there, so if you don't go to the dealer, Dansk is what you are going to get no matter where you buy it. (You may also see it labeled as Jopex or JP, but that is actually the same company.)

I should mention that I'm talking strictly about the header pipes here. My mufflers are not Dansk. My 2.1L mufflers are actually South African made (and stainless bodied), although the same manufacturer does supply a non-stainless version of it to Dansk (who, interestingly, incorrectly labels it Made in Denmark). And my 1.9L mufflers are either Bosal or Ansa, made in either Canada or Italy (and virtually identical to eachother). Have not had a problem with either.

- Ron Salmon The Bus DepotŪ, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW