Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:20:29 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Cool Running '85, Too

My '85 also runs a little on the cool side. On the way home from the Shenandoah National Park Monday, I hit some traffic coming into Washington, DC. The slow traffic caused my temp gauge to move up slightly--to what I call normal--needle just below the light. For the rest of the trip, it seemed to have noticeably more power, especially pulling up through 3rd gear. On the way down on Saturday, I noticed the opposite. As the outside temperatures dropped, the gauge went lower, to the edge of the white mark. I had less power just as I needed it going up Swift Run Gap to the Skyline Drive. I think I may have a stuck (open) thermostat, a lower temp. version, or one that is leaking through? I have checked the Temp II sensor--it is right on. The FI seems rich on cold starts. Will fooling with the AFC (it is new) adjust overall mixture or is this a can of worms? Spotted two other Westy's at Loft Mountain--a nice burgundy '89 and a white '82 beater. As always, friendly VW owners.

Jay