Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:03:34 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: complaints / Dansk Exhaust / Ford Purchase Recommendation

> The VW pipes bolt up; it is that simple. Do > you honestly think at VW you would ever hear Fritz yell,"Hey, > Hans! Stop the line! I have to get the torch."

No. And if you were installing Dansk header pipes on a Vanagon with zero miles you would not have that experience either. But after 50, 100, 150k miles, other parts on the van are out of spec, mounts are slightly twisted, etc. and no exhaust system will bolt on as cleanly as on a brand new vehicle.

I see this happen all the time, not just on Vanagons but on Buses, too, some of which have equally convoluted exhaust systems. Someone takes a brand new exhaust part, body part, etc., bolts it onto half a dozen old, worn parts, and it doesn't quite line up. Does he consider that all of the old parts he's bolting it to are perhaps slightly bent or out of spec after 10 or 15 years? No! Obviously it must be that all of the old parts on his engine are perfectly in spec, but the brand new part is out of spec! :-) Don't you think that having sold these pipes for nearly a decade, Dansk, who is a reputable and well-established exhaust company (and, incidentally, an original-equipment supplier to Volkswagen), would long ago have corrected them if they didn't fit? Yes, something is out of spec all right, but it isn't the brand new pipe - it's your 15 year old vehicle!

> I am satisfied that the VW pieces fit better. > But, I am not certain that they cost more. To check on this I managed to > locate my invoice from a VW dealer for a Syncro rear connection > pipe (P/N 025 251 172P). The list was $206.50 and the net was $165.20. The BD > listing for this part has it priced at $179.95 plus shipping. Is this > cheaper?

No, because the part number you looked up on our website _was_ a genuine VW pipe. The Dansk equivalent is a 172R, and it's $104.45 with listmember discount - half the retail of the VW pipe. For what you paid for the non-stainless VW one, we could have provided a stainless steel header pipe.

> He said that he uses VW pipes which last about 90kmi

Well, they sure didn't last 90k miles on either my '85 or my '89, and this is in Philadelphia, which is a slightly kinder environment than NH. In the end, it wasn't rust that killed my original pipes anyway, it was stress cracks. (Got one, welded it, got another an inch away from the first one, welded it, by the third time I just gave up and replaced the pipe.) If the O.E. header pipes really lasted 90k miles in the rust belt (and supposedly longer in dry climates), I'd rarely get an order for a header pipe; on the contrary, they are one of my best selling items.

Bottom line, it's your money and your choice. You can pay about twice as much for the genuine VW header pipes, but in my experience you have about as much chance of the fit being difficult as with the Dansk pipes. Personally I think it's a waste of money, but it's your money. If nothing else, get the muffler and tailpipe from me, and you'll at least save on those items (and in the case of '86-91 get a stainless-bodied muffler to boot).

- Ron Salmon The Bus DepotŪ, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_______________________________________________ ORDER BY PART # TOLL FREE: 1-888-819-DEPOT