Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:39:44 -0400
From:         Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: VALVE RETAIER
Comments: To: Darrell Boehler <midwesty@midwest.net>

Darrell Boehler wrote: > > Hi Bob, > First thanks for your time and talented response. I think I have seen > you post a problem with the valves in amc heads but ignored it until I saw > the soft valve problem first hand. Your sage advise is appreciated. > Actually we are lucky, if a valve had let go it will most likely cause > serious if not catastrophic problems with the engine. > I would suggest anyone out there with amc heads consider replacing the > exhaust valves at the earliest possible time. What a bummer, just when you > think you have your head problems under control with new amc heads soft > valves enter the scene. These heads have 60k miles and the engine is > running perfectly. > Darrell > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Bob Donalds" <bostneng@FCL-US.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 2:52 PM > Subject: VALVE RETAIER > > > Darrel > > saw your post about the retainer hitting the rocker > > the grooves that the keepers sit in are wiped out the valve wont brake > > but the heads need to come off and the valves need to be replaced > > also the valve spring is longer when the retainer shifts down the valve > > so you have lost valve spring pressure > > the short term cure is to shim the rocker arm if possible and extend the > > screw > > .030 would be alot to shim but I would start there > > good luck > > Bob > > Darrell I agree the AMC is good head and thats all I use. the poor quality valves both intake and exhaust have been a hit ad miss thing for some time. I have been hounding my supplier to replace heads and pay for gaskets and freight on the heads that I have had problems with in the past. that has put pressure on them to tell the importer that installs the valve to ether sell the heads with no valves or use a good valves. they are passing there cost on to him I am told. I also make it clear that the internet is a powerful thing and good words as well as bad are passed around very quickly Bob