Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:56:33 -0700
From:         Daryl Christensen <aatransaxle@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: '90 Westy 2nd gear
Comments: To: kadm@PUGETSOUND.NET

No ...The 3/4 slider problem is not an oil related failure..purely a torque & vehicle weight issue....I have not actually heard that filling them less makes the shifting easier...Daryl..AA Transaxle

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:52:14 -0700 Dana Morphew <kadm@PUGETSOUND.NET> writes: > Would filling until fluid dribbles out the filler hole help to add > some > longevity to the 3/4 hub slider? > > -Dana- > > > > > In your 90 Westy you should have the 091/1 trans that holds 3.1 > qts. of > > lube. that's about ¼ cup more than 3 qts. Interesting note on the > 091/1 > > trans they reduced the gear lube capacity to help reduce shifting > effort. > > The proper fill level is actually 9/16" below the fill hole. So > measure the > > amount of lube you put in and don't just fill till it dribbles > back out the > > fill hole. > > > > Anybody make dip sticks for measuring the 9/16" down from the fill > hole? > > (LOL) > > > > Good Luck > > Dan Weber > > 87 GL Weekender - Miss Blue > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: Joe Romas <jromas@COLUMBUS.RR.COM> > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 7:05 PM > > Subject: Re: '90 Westy 2nd gear > > > > > Michael, > > > > > > You may ask others for suggestions but mine is to drain and > frefill > > the > > > transmission with synthetic gear oil. Works wonders on a2 > jettas. I'm > > going > > > to change my 84 vanagon's this weekend. I think you'll need 4 > quarts. > > > (3.something) > > > > > > Joe > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > From: "Michael David Korsak" <mdk166@PSU.EDU> > > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > > Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 7:50 PM > > > Subject: '90 Westy 2nd gear > > > > > > > > > > Hey everybody, > > > > With the cold weather we've been having here in central PA, > i've noticed > > > > some really hard shifting into 2nd gear on my manual 2.1l > westy. I > > > > notice this trouble only on cold driving, before all the > fluids and > > > > components have a chance to warm up. I have let the van warm > up, but > > > > have not noticed that this has improved the problem. When > shifting into > > > > second (cold), the gear grinds, and generally takes some force > to get it > > > > into gear properly. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. > > > > > > > > Mike Korsak > > > > '90 Westy - unnamed > > > > > > >

Daryl of AA Transaxle Duvall, WA.(Seattle area) (425) 788-4070 1-877-377-0773 toll free http://www.aatransaxle.com (web site)