Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:29:53 MDT
From:         greg rich <greg4vwparts@USA.NET>
Subject:      buy a FORD?

This really makes me happy coming what I thought was the leading vangon supplier around, telling his customers to buy a domestic vehicle if they do not like his products.... was he a VW service advisor before at a dealer,

sounds like something a dealer would say when you bring in your vehicle for warranty. (and I thought only volkswagen treated their customers like this)

The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM> wrote: > > we ship maybe one kit every day. > > Of all of those shipped, I have had three complaints _ever_ > >about a pipe that wouldn't fit.

> As a business owner you should realize that not everyone who is unhappy

> complains.

Yes, so read the next sentence!! My _very next sentence_ after the one you quoted, said that undoubtedly far more than three people had difficulty installing the pipes, but that many of them probably realized (correctly)

that difficult exhaust fit is not unusual on this vehicle.

This is a rear-engined vehicle with a unique exhaust system, and like some other VW bus years, the exhaust simply does not go together as easily as on a front-engined car with a straight-line exhaust system. Instead you have a convoluted piping system (designed just for us lucky US folk who need a cat converter by the way; the European setup is infinately simpler), not to mention a somewhat inadequate bracing system that promotes stress cracking due to vibration. If you look at the VW and the Dansk pipes side by side, the bends are exactly the same. If you try to install a Dansk header pipe, you may get lucky and it will slip right on, but far more likely you will

have to bang on it and curse at it for a while. If you buy a genuine VW header pipe, you will have exactly the same odds (but a significantly lighter wallet). I know it sucks, but you can't blame the parts vendor for the eccentricities of the vehicle. Don't like it? Buy a F*rd. :-)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

____________________________________________________________________ Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1