Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:24:47 EDT
From:         Scott Kraning <OuiSki1@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Engine & Exhaust replacement (help!)

Dear List-

The day has finally come. We have owned our 3rd beloved Westy - "Roxy" - for over a year now and besides a few minor probs and the epidemic [bucking] now and then, she's gone a long way and brought us lots and lots of happiness. I've read thousands of postings here, and while sympathizing with many of you, I thought I must be the lucky one with 117,000 miles my Westy is still going strong...(Ha!) After some serious inspection, my ENTIRE exhaust sys needs to be replaced, and a second and third opinion both predict my 2.1 is about shot (leaky all over the place). So, my question...and I do have one...what's the best, most cost effective way to revanmp an aging beaut of a bus? engine transplant (Tii will run about 4000.00 delivered) vs. Fast German Auto rebuild ($??) We plan to hang on to her for a long time and figure a NEW engine would be a better investment, but pricey!

What about a new exhaust sys recommendation. (S&S looks economical compared to an OE design, but as good?) The exhaust is the most urgent, and will eventually need to be switched over to the new/rebuilt engine which we will probably have more time to save for.

Any and all suggestions and experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Scott and Candis Greenville, SC