Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Oct 2000 12:49:16 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine & Exhaust replacement (help!)

> What a timely question. According to Ron Solomon (wade through recent > postings), the S&S product is inferior to the Dansk offering.

In some ways yes, but then again they're apples and oranges. According to my customers' feedback, the S&S system seems to be slightly harder to fit, and compared side by side with the Dansk it is definately not as heavy gauge. As is the nature of header systems, it will be slightly louder, but also will provide slightly better performance than, a stock style system like the Dansk. So you get improved performance out of your Vanagon, at the expense of a slight volume increase and potential lifespan decrease. Personally, when it came to my own van, I did not opt for the S&S. I have no delusions about my Westy getting anywhere fast anyway, and opted for the Dansk's increased lifespan and relative quietness, over the slight performance increase afforded by the S&S. But others on the list have different priorities, and some do choose the S&S for its performance advantages and/or its cost (which is about the same as the Dansk system on an '83-85, but cheaper than a Dansk system on an '86-up). I'd say the ratio is about 20 Dansk systems sold to every one S&S system. It's really a matter of personal preference which combination of price, performance, and design appeals to you.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW