Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:22:36 -0700
From:         Ron Bloomquist <roadcow@MCN.ORG>
Subject:      Trip

Hi kids,

Since it is still Friday round here.....

Just a note to let you all know we just returned from a 1,800 mile round trip to my daughters wedding in Seattle, driving my Vanaru. The wedding was beautiful, of course but... During our trip north I stopped at a rest stop and while there a guy walked up and said he had a Vanagon exactly like mine; an 1984 with the same colors. I told him it wasn't quite like mine in that I had a Subie engine. I told him about the wonders of my trouble free Vanagon and then he told me about his Vanagon which he was hauling home on a U-Haul trailer because a hose broke and he fried his engine! He was interested in my conversion and said he would look up my webpage when he got home to Port Townsend, WA.

Then he took off and a bit later we hit the road. We soon saw him trundling along and I decided to blow past him at 90 mph! Only in the interest of Science - you know! Just as we passed him my engine started stumbling and I lost power. I coasted off to the emergency lane and he pulled in behind me. He asked me what the trouble was and I told him I didn't know - outside of being a wise ass. I told him to go on. We would figure it out.

My engine would start but it would only idle around 800 rpm and when I would step on the gas it would die. I started it again and went around to the engine compartment and opened the lid. The Soob was idling very rough. I checked all the vacuum lines thinking I had a massive vacuum leak. Then I wiggled all the wiring connectors. Again, when I tried to advance the throttle it would die. Hmmm!

I started it again and noticed the gas gauge was on or near empty. There was an off ramp to a gas station about 1/2 mile ahead. We pushed and pushed as far as we could along the edge of the freeway but finally arrived at a bit of up hill and couldn't push any further. The engine would not help at all. Then a Highway Patrolman showed up and he pushed us to the gas pumps. I filled the tank. The engine started and died. Oh no! I tried it again and it fired right up!! I noticed I had gone 245 miles on the previous fill-up. Normally I can get around 300 miles per tank.

Well, I had been pushing hard through Oregon. Averaging around 75 miles per hour against a strong headwind. Plus we had two sheep fleeces, in garbage bags, strapped on top in the luggage area. I did the math. Yup! 15.6 miles to the gallon! Note: On the return trip with a tailwind, no fleece bags on top and averaging 65 mph, I got 22.3 miles per gallon!

I guess the moral to the story is.... Don't be a wise ass... speed costs gas!

What really had me worried and concerned was the fact that the engine would run, though on one cylinder. That's why I thought it was a vacuum leak or a sensor problem. That's why I didn't think I was out of gas. The engine did finally get to the point where it would not start at all. I guess the very last of the gas was finally cleared out of the fuel rail. I was very happy to discover it was only a lack of gas problem!!

So, currently, 25,000 miles of trouble free motoring except for the idiot behind the wheel!

Okay, back to your regular programming, Ron Vanaru ROADCOW http://www.mcn.org/b/roadcow