Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Oct 2000 17:51:41 -0400
From:         John <johnpatt@WARWICK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Auxilliary waterpump for vanagon?
Comments: To: Dave Bayer <daveb@CP.NET>

Dave Bayer wrote: > > Mike Catlin wrote: > > > > The Parts Connection ( http://www.thepartsconnection.com/specials.htm ) > > has these listed as a weekly special: > > > > "Auxiliary Water Pump-(Turbo Cooling)-Bosch: $129.95 > > (034 965 561C) Most Audi Turbo Models" > > It's $50 cheaper than the busdepot has them. They > are probably even cheaper at a VW dismantler (used on all > VR6s) and you will get the rubber donut it sits as well. > I don't know the life span of one of these pumps so a used > one might not be a good idea... > > dave

Most European car makers offer a Scandinavian option Aux coolant pump, usually for cars with small engines. Apparently in arctic conditions engines turn a lot slower and heaters blow cold air. The Aux coolant pump pushes hot coolant under pressure into the heater core providing needed hot coolant regardless of water pump RPM. I installed an Aux coolant pump from a BMW 318i in the heater hose to my Syncro's heaters and now the heater discharge will "burn" your hand at idle in NY state winter weather! I usually just drive with the rear on speed 1 and the front only using ram air.

Regards, John