Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Oct 2000 21:26:49 EDT
From:         Heath Vogt <RallyXer@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lowering a Vanagon - new (?) perspective

In a message dated 10/14/00 1:38:31 AM Central Daylight Time, jaymac@INTERNETCDS.COM writes:

> So what am I missing here? Why would I want to lower my van? To improve > cornering? If that's the goal, seems like a Scirocco or Corrado would be > more to one's liking. Personally, I'm diggin' on my '85s high clearance ( > lots of gravel roads here in the Northwest). A nice change from my Corolla. > > > > Greg Baskin > > Eugene, Ore. > > 85 Westy > > 79 Corolla

How about the best of both worlds. Replace the coil springs with airbags. It's the "in" thing to do with trucks and imports right now, but it has some real world advantages (see Range Rover & Lincoln Continental, not to mention VW's Dune and their new Truck and SUV that aren't out yet). Certain Range Rovers have bags in the rear, if you get high centered (afterall ride height is somewhat less than topped out) going over a berm, you pump up the rear bags and it gives you some extra clearance to get over the hump.

Air bags will respond just like coil spings as far as ride is concerned, only you can dial in height and ride... Pump some more air in the rear when towing that fishing boat or hauling all those bikes on the back. Raise it up to gain clearance, drop it to lower c.g. or get the westy in the garage. Since vanagons use coils with shocks rather than struts, the conversion should be relatively easy and the bags aren't all that expensive. You could set up a whole system w/ compressor (pipe it to fill tires too!!) for what it'd cost for new springs. Get really fancy with left/ right control and you can level your camper at the camp site!

Height adjustable suspensions aren't new, and they have great uses. Late 70 early 80's mercedes S class 6.9 (the size of the engine) sedans had a hydroliclly adjustable system that automatically dropped 2" (? don't quote me on the amount) at 100mph, o.k. most vans aren't driven that fast, but you'd get some advantage at lower speeds given the higher starting height. It also had an "over ride" that pumped it up to 7.5" of ground clearance (bought the same as an Explorer) for driving up that snow covered road to your cabin in the Alps. A friend of mine had a rough one, kept leaking pressure, so if it sat for a day or two it looked like a low rider :)

Bags are certainly dependable, just ask any Semi driver who has 500,000 + miles on his rig!!! Even if you loose pressure, they'll still function to get you home (the have a springyness? even without air).

Really, this makes so much sense with the vanagon, which is constantly seeing different uses on different terains, with different loads, I'm surprised someone doesn't already make a kit.

Heath