Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Oct 2000 20:56:47 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Subaruvanagon list & Vanagon-Caravelle Stuff
Comments: To: Chris Mundy <cwmundy@OPTUSNET.COM.AU>

Chris, there's a list devoted to Vanagons with Subaru engines. To join egroups <www.egroups.com/group/subaruvanagon> Egroups will reply with a message you reply to to join the subaruvanagon list. It's a small but growing list which was started recently.

Rod Hadfield at Castlemaine Rod Shop can do an adaptor kit for most engines <rodshop@castlemaine.net.au> or ph (03) 5472-2853.

Try also Bill Croft <bill@pnc.com.au>, who offered to make a Subaru adaptor to fit a Porsche trans.

An outfit in Sydney, Brookvale Spares, doubtfully may be able to help. Fax (02) 9938-3331, ph (02) 9938-5555

You could also try NV Motors. I talked to Nick (a Greek?), who said they have done conversions using the ER27 engine; they have not done an SVX. Sydney 9331-5889.

As far as power steering conversion is concerned, I shouldn't need a pump, as a Subaru unit will work well with the VW rack and won't need adaptation to the engine.

What I would need is a good rack (don't know whether the powered/nonpowered tierods are the same) and a full set of good hoses from rear to front of van. Any special hose brackets, and rack mounts if different to nonpowered. One Aussie wrecker offered me a rack for $1000...way too much, as they can sell for $125 in USA (of course I can't use an LHD US unit). My Bentley manual for 80-84 vans doesn't cover power steering, so I have no details about hose runs, supporting brackets etc.

I don't know about WRX conversions, except that any Legacy/Liberty adaptor kit will fit it and also that the VW trans will soon go crunch, especially if it's a Japanese-market Type RA 290hp unit such as I was offered. The only real problem might be clearance of inlet tract and placement of intercooler. If you don't mind modifying the engine cover, as mine is, adding a vertical extension, clearance should be easy enough. The intercooler I would think can be mounted just about anywhere, I imagine, and if necessary a thermo or manually-switched fan fitted. Transporter Spares in England fits intercooled 1.9TDi units, with the intercooler set off to the right side of the block (of course the Subaru has a bank of cylinders there).

I would think that the WRX engine produces sufficient torque at lower RPM to do a good job, and would certainly push the van along as fast (or faster) as you might want! However the SVX makes almost as much power as a Japanese-market (and probably quite a bit more than an Aussie-market) WRX, and there is no turbo plumbing to mess around with; and it should sound really great, unlike the disjointed throb of the WRX. Either way you should be happy, so long as you replace that VW trans. A Porsche 915 trans would do the job, but they give trouble with synchros; a G50 would cost a bit more but these are bulletproof (you'd need the short 87-89 unit) and 930 CVs with thick adaptor axles and 930-pattern Weddell stubaxles. The 915 will take your VW CVs but the thin VW or 915 axles are prone breakages. Sway-a-Way I think it was offered me adaptor plates to put 930 CVs on the 915 trans.

KEP makes adaptor kits for Subaru engines to fit VW, 915 and G50 trans; all use the same adaptor plate, but different flywheels. These are off-the-shelf items. I believe the Oz manufacturers would have to make one for you but suspect the KEP unit will give better satisfaction.

I have investigated using a front-drive trans, but Audi and Subaru transmissions don't have flipable diffs; a Subaru trans can't be used upsidedown without adding a scavenge pump, I'm told, and doing so with an Audi trans will drop your engine to groundscraping level. The Subaru diff housing cannot be modified to invert the diff and the diff center is the wrong height for the VW axles anyway. And I am told Subaru trans are prone to failure, both manuals and especially autos; this includes WRX.

If you want a flat engine and heaps of go, go Subaru. If you're happy with adequate but limited power the TiiCO Kit should be okay. "Affordable" Porsche engines are all aircooled, so no heating. Another option, if you want diesel power with go, is the 2.2 2C-T Toyota. Based on the 1C 1.8 and 2C 2.0 SOHC, this turbo unit can be found in some 90s Liteace vans but these are upright and would need some adapting to fit. In the Estima (called Previa outside Japan and for some reason Tarago in Oz) the engine lies flat under the floor and should be a cinch to fit to the T3. I've driven a diesel Estima, and it accelerated strongly in 4th up a goodly slope from 60kmh. On the flat it ran up to 160 quickly and felt like it had plenty still to go. If I hadn't gone for the SVX I probably would have gone the Estima route, though I'd have had to have an adaptor kit made from scratch. I know someone with a diesel Estima taxi and he swears it'll beat any other taxi up a long slope...with a full load of passengers and trailer full of airport luggage. Another good option: DOHC 3.0 Toyota V6 (avoid Nissan and Mitsubishi engines, I'm in the taxi business and know that these manufacturers' engines give trouble, whereas Toyota's don't). Shame the twin-turbo Supra engine's not a V!

Regards Andrew