Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Oct 2000 03:28:11 -0500
From:         Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@MB.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Sliding door opens by itself

First of all, VW has the absolute worst locks for cold weather. If you think it's hard to close your front doors on an air tight van now, wait until January. Brute force needed. Same with the sliding door, always popping open. And very poor water leakage into locks, always icing up. I can't tell you how many times I've climbed in through the rear hatch.

I'm wondering if this is related. Here is the copy of a recall that I found on the NHTSA.gov website that I think it was Unca Joel mentioned a few weeks ago:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 85V152000

Component: STRUCTURE:DOOR ASSEMBLY:LATCHES AND LOCKS Manufacturer: VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA,INC Year: 1985 Make: VOLKSWAGEN TRUCK Model: CAMPER Potential Number of Units Affected: 18328 Manufactured From: JUL 1984 To: MAY 1985 Year of Recall: '85 Type of Report: Vehicle Summary: THE LATCH OF THE PASSENGER SIDE SLIDING DOOR MAY BECOME DAMAGED IF EXCESSIVE FORCE IS USED TO CLOSE THE DOOR. THE DAMAGED DOOR LOCK MECHANISM WILL NOT PROPERLY ENGAGE AND THE DOOR COULD OPEN IF VEHICLE IS DRIVEN OVER BUMPY ROADS. CONSEQUENCE OF DEFECT: IF THIS OCCURS THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT A PASSENGER COULD FALL OUT CAUSING INJURY OR DEATH.

MODIFY THE SLIDING DOOR LOCK ASSEMBLY SO DOOR WILL PROPERLY ENGAGE.

SYSTEM: DOOR LOCK.

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: VAN-TYPE WAGON AND CAMPERS.

It says that it applies only to vehicles built between 84 and 85 (which includes mine), but I thought the mechanism was the same throughout? I didn't search for other years, and I don't know if this recall is still in effect. Is there a relationship here or coincidence?

Jeff 85 Westy Winnipeg (preparing for winter)

----- Original Message ----- From: Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2000 11:01 PM Subject: Re: Sliding door opens by itself