Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:03:47 -0400
From:         "Samuel L. Walters" <slwalters@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Two Westfalias, dead camper FS in Baltimore Sun

Yesterday's Baltimore Sun lists two Westfalia's for sale.

I know nothing about these vehicles or the sellers, just saw the listings in the Autombile Classified Ads.

'84 VW Vanagon Westfalia. Exc. cond. 114k mi. new heads, MD inspec. $6,000 410-889-1650

'85 VW Westfalia German import, compl. rec. Extra wheels, $7500/BO 410-664-8908

Also happened to notice this one in the VW car ads just above these:

'74 VW 412, 83,500 orig. mi., very nice $2700. '78 VW Camper, does not run $600. Call Falk, (410) 426-8499.

Hope this might be of some interest to someone in this general area who does not read this newspaper.

FWIW - I am relatively new to the list - have been reading and learning quite a lot in the last two months. I have an '84 Vanagon which I purchased from the dealer in late summer '85. Except for down time for new heads (twice) and a few periods of poor starting and cutting out, it has been my daily transportation since its purchase. Now has 161k miles.

The starting/cutting out problems had started again last spring, after about a year of good running, and in my frustration with the inability to find someone who could solve the problems, I was about ready to sell it or give it away. Got some relief when one mechanic found insufficient flow from the fuel pump and replaced it and the relay (relay free - he just swapped one from a parts van on his lot). This guy specializes in VWs and he assured me that the engine and body, suspension, etc. are in very good shape and that I should not get rid of the van but fix it up. After this it runs reliably but only if the Idle Stabilizer is disconnected.

At about the same time as I had gotten the help from this man, I found the list and started reading. Even though I have never worked on this car before, I am convinced that I can squeeze at least another few years out of the van from the information and help I can find here. In fact, I have ordered several parts (Idle stablizer, Temp II sensor, lower range thermostat) that I will begin to install as soon as I finish a demanding work project. I will probably be asking for "diagnostic sequence and logic" help as I start this.

I worked on simpler carb cars when I was young, did motorcycle repairs then too and maintained all of my racing bicycles for years better than most shop mechanics, so I can do this kind of work, at least up to a certain point. When I got the van I was seriously into bike racing and didn't have time to work on it. The bikes and the training were my non-work passions. The van was actually selected over other vans because of the way it could hold bicycles in the space above the engine. So it took me and my racing buddies to many a bike race. The middle seat was out for years so 4 of us could go to races. 2 bikes over engine, 2 right behind front seats, both pairs attached to a rack I had made that secured the bikes by the front forks.

But now, I want to keep my van running and well maintained, and think I can do it because of the information and cooperative spirit that I found here. It is amazing to realize how much BS and uninformed guesswork have gone into the repairs that I have paid for through the years.

Hopefully, these few repairs that I plan will be done successfully from the information that I have already gleaned from the recent posts and the archive. But if not, or if I have questions, you will hear from me.

Sam Walters '84 Vanagon 161k Original owner Frederick VonVanagon, "Fred" for short