Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:29:38 +1000
From:         Ray Hunnam <hunnam@PNC.COM.AU>
Subject:      Re: Subject: 1990 waterboxer heads - a popular topic....
Comments: To: David Del Ben <ddelben@AIRINTER.COM.AU>

David and Chris.

I also have had experience with Indian Autos. Unfortunately they do not do the Subaru conversations any more. They have gone the other way and only do the wilder conversations, ie V8 into air cooled and hot buggies. I had my Subaru 2.7 flat 6 conversation done by a former partner of this establishment a Mike Kristen who now owns " Custom Bugs and Bus's " also at Penrith.

It was interesting to note that when speaking to Indian re a conversation he sent me to the other side of Sydney to see another mechanic. Well I drove the distance and looked over his efforts. I will say I was not particularly taken with his work. Looked like it was thrown together with parts unfinished and bodgied to me. I then found Mike through another friend of mine who also had the 2.7 flat 6 put into a 75 Crew Cab. The fitting looked like factory. I was impressed. I then looked up Mike and after talking with him decided to have him do the job.

It was interesting that when mentioning Indian he never bad mouthed his former partner, preferring to only say good things and that they were only going into the more custom engine swaps for the show VW's. A different approach I suspect that of Indian, after all he knew where his former partner had set up shop yet wouldn't give this advice to me. The jolly green giant or just a bastard act?

Various suppliers have advised me to stay clear of Indian, who knows.

Steve and Mark had a good look and drive of my Van and were both impressed, not only with the extra power and torque but the fitup also.

As for the gearbox problem, well I say if you are going to drop wheelies all day every day it wouldn't matter if you had a Mack Truck gearbox in the Van it will wear out. Steady driving and acceleration and lack of racing changes should not put any extra stress on the box. When something is designed the engineers just dont specify for a particular set of circumstances they usually over engineer to cater for different circumstances and conditions.

Dont forget the invitation is still there to come and have a look. I am organising with Steve to bring his Van down so we can look at the mountings for his Bull Bar. My mate has a panel beating business and he gave me a Bar from a Pajero. The fitup looks right, same width etc. but the bar is mounted on centre lugs. I may be able to fabricate something up to get around it. Wont know until I have a look.

Ray.