Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Oct 2000 11:37:27 -0400
From:         John <johnpatt@WARWICK.NET>
Subject:      Re: My New Westy (A Voyage of Discovery)
Comments: To: Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>

Budd Premack wrote: > > It dawned (actually, it was past 8:30 when I first looked outside) as a > glorious fall day, way too nice to be cooped up doing taxes, even taxes with > a deadline two days away, so my son Ben and I went out to view and pay the > balance due on the 81 Westy that I had purchased most reasonably a few days > prior. The seller had previously agreed to give me 30 days free storage > until I could determine where to park it. This had seemed important to me > as the lack of power on the initial test drive was quite substantial, > suggesting that the 30 mile journey back home would be best accomplished in > some other mode than the normal innaugural drive of a newly purchased > vehicle. > > However, upon arrival today, I noted with significance that I could not > engage 1st or 2nd gear unless I pretended to be going into reverse, at which > time they worked just fine. So, it seemed that my test drive had been in > 3rd and 4th, with an engine that was spewing and leaking oil quite > noticeably. No wonder I had sensed a distinct lack of power. > > With the sweet feeling of new ownership, and somewhat blinded by the > brilliance of the maple foliage, and still wanting to play hookey from my > work, it seemed eminently sensible to drive home today, rather than waiting > until the dark days of mid-November. > > The drive home went quite well, at least it did after we filled up the 15/20 > psi tires to a respectable 35 psi and put in a new 20 amp fuse in a vain > attempt to resusitate the gas guage and other dashboard functions. Failing > that, I put in some gas to assure an ample supply to reach the friendly > confines of my driveway. I just computed speed and distance through the > seat-of-the-pants method, as we all know that VW never even dreamed of > electronic speedometers back in 1981. > > With my son following in the chase car, we drove merrily off into the autumn > afternoon, trailing a fine plume of smoke, and a cacophony of sounds. (Did > I neglect to mention that the exhaust system was notable for its structural > integrity? It seemed to me to be a minor miracle that it actually retained > its original shape with so little solid metal remaining.) > > We puttered along quite well for about 20 miles, although I did have to > downshift more frequently than normal when the grade became a bit > pronounced. After an obligatory stop at a garage sale (where we both added > some treasures to our cache of possessions), just as I was becoming a tad > too complacent, I smelled the slight warning sign of more oil in the > exhaust, accompanied with a noticeable hesitation in the engine. I hastily > exited the highway, which in my by-now blissful state, I had selected as the > most direct route home. > > I drove another two miles along the back roads, with heightened coughing and > chugging until the oil light began to flicker. Prudence suggested a pit > stop was now in order. The dipstick was starting to look pretty dry, which > was understandable considering the amount of petroleum I had watched wafting > away in my rear view mirror. (I had already suspected that this van was not > quite ready for the CA smog test.) After adding an appropriate measure of > oil, I started up again, this time with substantially more noise, and a > disturbing metallic vibration. In a last ditch effort to save any remaining > portion of the engine, I determined that immediate shutdown was the best > course. > > Experience had suggested to me, just prior to the pit stop, that picking an > appropriate location might prove advantageous if this turned into something > a bit more expansive than anticipated. So, there we were, parked by the > side of a private lane, my new (old) Westy, my son in his SUV, me, and our > cell phone. A cordial conversation with AAA resulted in their promise to > have a tow truck visit in somewhat over an hour. Sensing a bit of futility > in a "Waiting for Godot" scenario, Ben and I drove home, promising to return > later to tow the Westy to a mechanical inspection. Before we left, I > informed the neighboring homeowner of the status of the new view out their > front window. It had occured to me that an abandoned older vehicle might > attract a bit of attention by the locals, which seemed prudent to deflect, > especially since the license tabs had expired 6 months ago. > > So, we have a slightly less than perfect end to a glorious day. I do now > own a Westy, or at least it looks like one. Actually, considering my past > experience with a $300 purchase of a 72 Westy, this one drives and looks > like a champion. In fact, it gladdens my heart to be back in the land of > the air cooled, away from the incessant maintenance burdens of the > waterboxer. Time will tell, as it always does, but I am beginning to > suspect that this van may need more than a coat of wax before it is > roadworthy. Until then, I can still pop the top, pull a cool beverage from > the fridge, listen to the sweet sounds eminating from the 8 track, and at > least envision the joys of Westy ownership. > > Budd Premack > 86 Syncro, 73 Super > Minneapolis, MN (Land of Sky-Blue Waters)

Hi Bud,

I wouldn't think of working on a Wasserboxer as "incessant maintenance burdens of WBX" compared to what, based on your discription, your new '81 Westy is going to require of you. Anyway congradulations, if I find any 8 track tapes in the attic I'll send them along.

Regards, John

P.S. Did you really roadtest the Westy in only 3rd & 4th and still buy it?