Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Oct 2000 19:11:32 -0700
From:         "Clark, Patrick" <PClark@NORTHPOINT.NET>
Subject:      Re: safe RPMS

Ken-- I also have an '89 automatic-- and your RPM's are matching mine. I also have a new transmission and engine-- each just turning in 6,000 miles.

My mileage has been similar 17.5 during the break in period, but with ECU/ plugs and air filter in hand, I'm looking forward to some improvement.

I've made two 900 mile trips already (in addition to a daily 40 mile commute) and find that I keep her in the neighborhood of 65/70 mph-- she appears happy and far enough into the power band to satisfy me without pushing it.

Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 23:51:46 EDT From: Ken Hartz <ThreeHartz@AOL.COM> Subject: Safe RPM's

I have a question as to what my RPM's should be at speed. I saw a post earlier where someone said they did 65 mph at 3400 rpm. I have an 89GL automatic, with alloy wheels, Michelin All Season RainForce 205-70/14 tires (came with the vehicle.) The engine is turning approximately 3600 rpms at 60 mph, approximately 4K at 70 mph. This puts it on the upper limit of the "green" on the tach. Is this normal for an automatic? I usually drive between 65 and 75 and get 17-18 miles per gal. I'd like to drop the rpms (longer engine life), but hate paying $$$ for larger rims, etc. TIA for any responses. Ken Hartz

[text/html]