Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:55:16 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Another coil fire
Comments: To: ron <crystal@QUICKNET.COM.AU>

There are no points on a water cooled Vanagon - only a hall sender which will not present a constant "fire coil" state if left in the "correct" position.

At 02:19 PM 17/10/2000 +1000, ron wrote: >Dear List, >Over the years I have have noticed that many people when working on their >vehicle will leave the ignition in the "on" position even though the motor >is not running. I think we all have either done this or seen this done. >If the points are in the closed position, the circuit for the primary is >complete, this means a current will be drawn thru the primary and the coil >will heat. This may not be a problem if it is a rare occurrence. Although it >may lead to some sort of insulation breakdown inside the coil itself. (I am >just guessing here). This may lead to more heat generated and ultimately >fire. Remember that the current will only flow if the points are closed. The >distributor won't stop in the same place every time. >I remember my father taking the distributor cap off and inserting a piece of >paper in between the points so it would not overheat. >I hope this helps. >Regards Ron. > >----- Original Message ----- >From: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> >To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 12:43 PM >Subject: Re: Another coil fire > > >> At 20:14 10/16/2000, Dana Morphew wrote: >> >The coil on the type RV Digifant2 engine I just bought had a secondary >> >resistance of 7500 ohms...more than double what it ought to have. I'm >> >wondering if this can cause enough heating to cause a fire? >> >> *Typically* that would cause less overall heating (but maybe a point >> heat-source depending on the cause) -- without actually knowing, I would >> surmise that troubles in the primary winding would be more likely to >> overheat the coil. >> >> d >> David Beierl - Providence, RI >> http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ >> '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" >> '85 GL "Poor Relation" > >

-- David Marshall - Volkswagen Enthusiast - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 79 VW Iltis, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westfalia -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --