Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:13:56 -0500
From:         HERMANN DE BOER <hdeboer@BSSD.NET>
Subject:      Re: Winter Camping Advise....
Comments: To: Keith Adams <keith_adams@TRANSCANADA.COM>

Heat up water, fill a hot water bottle or a fuel bottle (make sure they don't leak) and enjoy cozy warm, snuggly feet. Repeat as needed during the night.

-----Original Message----- From: Keith Adams To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: 10/17/00 8:45 AM Subject: Re: Winter Camping Advise....

Well, last year we slept in the bottom bunk of our Westy (top not up) two of us with two dogs (Husky crosses) on the floor at -17*F (-27*C) last year. It was not cozy, but not unbearable - jump up a couple of times during the night and pop the gas heater on for it's 10 minute cycle. I was in a sleeping bag rated for 23*F, so I wasn't too insulated. We were parked in a friend's driveway and could have ran into the house if it was too unbearable. As Bill said, it depends on your idea of "cozy" - I for one can't stand temperatures above 90*F, so it's all in how you are wired.

However, that is not a feat I am going to try and repeat this year. We will definitely be getting a plat heater of some sort and a CO detector by AIM, and take more blankets with us! I figure at that temperature, these are the things you need: 1) sleep with a toque on 2) change out of ALL clothes you were wearing to prevent perspiration from freezing 3) still gotta keep a window open a bit to vent condensation. Otherwise, you have to use the ice scraper on the INSIDE of the windshield (well, at -17*F, you have to do that no matter what).. 4) curl up in my sleeping bag with two thick blankets on top of us! 5) hire someone to be standing there with a hot cup of coffee so I don't have to extract myself from the warmth to make it.

The thing about camping in the van (as opposed to camping in a tent) is that if it does get too cold, you can either turn on the gas heater, or let the van run for a bit to get the heater going. That being said, I wish the PO had sprung for a furnace!

Ch-ch-ch-cheers! Keith Adams Calgary, Alberta, Canada 1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia (no furnace, dammit!).