Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Oct 2000 08:24:42 -0700
From:         Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need help with old gasket removal (Thanks)

Hi Folks,

Pardon if this is a repeat. I think I forgot to hit the send button on my last post. Anyway, I'd like to thank Joel Walker, Robert Lilly, George Wietor and Joe Romas and anyone else that I may have missed for their suggestions as to how I should remove a baked on gasket. As it turned out, the use of a gasket removal tool worked just fine. I had also purchased a gasket removing spray that remains unopened.

Once the gasket was removed, the coolant started dibbling again and I had to fan away the hornets that are apparently attracted to the stuff. Well, after dabbing off the area and coolant still dripping, I decided to go ahead and apply the high temp RTV sealant to the paper gasket and put the flange on anyway. With the bolts screwed in as tightly as I dared I left the assembly for 24 hours as recommended on the RTV tube.

After reassembling the motor bits back together I started the van and got a squealing noise from the alternator belt and a smell that told me that more adjustment was needed. I tightened up the belt and ran it again and all seemed fine. I took the van out for a drive and after about 10 miles I got the squeal signal again and by the time I got into a parking place and looked at the damage, the alt. belt was toast. Fortunately, I had another under the bench seat. Spent a bit of time replacing and noticed that it had somehow got wrapped around the next pulley over and tore apart from there (I guess). Took me a while to remember how to loosen the A.C. compressor to get that belt off, but after searching around I was able to get it adjusted and the belt off. Put on the spare alternator belt and the rest back together and ran it again. The engine sounded like it should have the first time. No funny noises and has been running fine since.

However... There is a drip of coolant coming down just even with the forward end of the passenger head but from up above. I cannot for the life of me, tell we the drip is falling from. I inspected all around the head and it look pristine. Any help with this situation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven