Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:04:17 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>

> some bad BUS DEPOT vibes to all... > had a coil fire in my 84-- ordered a NEW coil ... > it has rusty terminals, grease (like old motor accumulated grease--you > know the black s*#t) coating the top with the look of being > pulled out of a junker van.. I DON"T want to PAY for a "NEW" coil, from a junker > I talked to the manager ****DAN***** and he told me that > "they are brand new from twenty years ago" The BUS > DEPOT even had a whole shelf full of the blues from Mexico.

We so not sell used parts. The coil was N.O.S. - New Old Stock - not used. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, NOS parts are original parts that have NOT BEEN INSTALLED but have been sitting in inventory for a while. While I don't know if I'd peg them as 20 years old, these coils definately weren't made yesterday. But they are NOT used. In fact they were obtained in an overstock purchase from Volkswagen themselves, so they came right from the source. Unlike the ones made now, they are original-equipment, and half the price of the equivalent new ones (which are not German). In fact they are quite a bargain.

We got a large quantity of these original-equipment coils. Some were in boxes, the rest in one big box, shipped that way from overseas. We have sold a ton of them - not one single defect or return. The ones in the boxes looked "prettier" but we sold through them so now we have the ones that aren't boxed. They've been sitting around and they look it, but they're not used.

I wasn't aware that we were out of the boxed ones at this point. I will ask the salespeople to mention that the coils may have cosmetic blemishes. But Dan was absolutely right when he said that these were not used coils, but N.O.S. genuine VW coils. When the customer did not believe him, he offered to exchange it for a new-stock Mexican coil, which the customer accepted. Frankly I think he would have been better off keeping the one he originally got, which despite not looking as shiny as the new Mexican coil, is probably a better coil (and certainly a far more expensive one at original price).

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW