Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:12:43 +0200
From:         Stebbins <stebbins@AUCEGYPT.EDU>
Subject:      Cairo #3: Our first outing

"There comes a time when one has to grab the bull by the tail and face the situation"

I never really understood that, but I do believe that it is relevant to our first outing in Egypt. We (my wife Pat & I)

put 40 liters of tap water in the tank, and took 6 bottles of drinking water, a lunch, 4 maps, and 2 Lonely Planet (LP) guide books, two arabic phrase books, and set off for our first van outing in Egypt.

Friday is the Holy day here (weekend) and the traffic is about 1/10 the normal chaos, so we picked a Friday for our first try at

driving. Our first mission was go fill up the gas tank. Eat your heart out, 1 Egyptian pound per liter (USD$1 = LE3.55), this went smoothly as our phrase book Arabic held us in good stead.

We faced a situation where all 4 maps that we had are outdated, inaccurate and contradictory, there are few road signs and even fewer in English. We decided to head south along the east side of the Nile. Getting too lost is not a real problem as one is "trapped" in a 4 km band of green with the Nile on one side and the desert on the other side. so one can really only go north/south.

It was slow going as the 2 lane road (loosely defined) we took, went through every dirty, dusty chaotic small village and I never got out of 3 rd gear. Once out of Cairo, the landscape turned 'rural' as the Nile irrigation projects turn the desert into arable land for about the first 4 kms on each side of the Nile. After about 2 hours of travel we crossed the Nile at Beni Suef and headed back north-west, out to an oasis called Fayoum ( http://touregypt.net/fayoum.htm ). We found the maps to be nearly worthless and made a habit of using our phrase book Arabic to ask the omnipresent police if this was in fact the

road to Fayoum, most were pleased to break up the boredom with a lost tourist. Egypt is in the mist of building many new roads and the descriptions of how to "get there and away" in the LP seem no longer accurate. We found Fayoum to be depressingly ugly and, like much of populated Egypt, to pretty much like Berlin after the allied bombing.

Leaving Fayoum behind, we headed across the desert back to Cairo as we wanted to stop by some of the lesser pyramids in Dahshur (about 30 kms

south of Cairo). ( http://guardians.net/egypt/red1.htm ) These pyramids lived up to our expectations as they are out in the desert and there are no KFC/Pizza-Huts over looking them. We were the ONLY tourists there (along with 3 guards and one caretaker and one camel). There were no lights in the pyramid so we had to take flashlights down 65 meters into the heart of the thing, a real feeling of Indiana Jones.

Right next door, is the "Bent" pyramid ( http://guardians.net/egypt/cyberjourney/dahshur/bentpyramid/bent1.htm

) and we were again the ONLY tourists there too. Actually this area is littered with pyramids, many being only rubble heaps now. (http://guardians.net/egypt/cj98/abusir/abusir1.htm#abusir2 . We also stopped by the Saqqara ( http://guardians.net/egypt/saqqara1.htm ) pyramids to look at the famous "step" pyramid.

As it was getting late in the day we headed back north towards Cairo. All-in-all we got lost three times, took 2 lucky correct guesses on which way to go. and as we neared Cairo we began navigating by the Great Pyramids of Gisa - No

joke - once we could see the Great pyramids (about 20 Kms out of Cairo) we knew where we were!?!?!?

I took some pictures of the van in front of some of the pyramids and I'll get them posted to my cyber photo albums soon, but until then, if you want to, you can click on the general URLs above.

It was about 33 degrees C during the mid afternoon (about 10% humidity) and the van ran perfectly (including the newly

installed Pertronix 'points'). We didn't fair so well, we tried to drink a lot of fluid, but we did not keep up the salt and we developed headaches. Next time we'll keep up the water and electrolytes.

Egypt IS tourism, but only the "Fly in, go by bus to take a photo and fly out" variety of tourist. Egypt is NOT set up for the auto tourist at all, so we have a felling of great accomplishment in actually getting anyplace and back. So far populated Egypt is disappointedly littered and chaotic, and very hard to find our way around. But I guess that is part of the 3rd world adventure. More later. Malcolm