Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:32:48 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: 89 syncro westy clutch shudder
Comments: To: Mick Kalber <hotlava@INTERPAC.NET>

> the bus has developed this very strong shudder when letting out the clutch > in reverse and first from a dead stop. doesn't happen all the time, but > almost all of the time, and much less when the bus is still > moving a little.

The Vanagon clutch shudder has been covered on the list a number of times and is certainly in the archives. A small percentage of Vanagons seem to develop this. Some people have blamed the Sachs clutches, but others (including myself) feel that the actual culprit is more likely to be worn engine or trans mounts, or in some cases a flywheel that needs resurfacing. I started carrying the Luk clutch kits in response to those who blamed the Sachs kits for the shudder, and have to admit that I haven't had a report of any shudder with Luk kits. But I'm reluctant to draw any conclusions from that because the sample size of installed Luk clutches is much smaller than with Sachs kits. In other words, given that the vast majority of Vanagons have Sachs clutches, the odds state that any Vanagon that developed the problem would probably have a Sachs clutch, even if there was no causal relationship between the two. Check the archives; you'll see way too much info (much of it conflicting) on the subject. :-)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW