Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:09:37 -0700
From:         George Wietor <wietorg@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sleeping bag purchase advice wanted
Comments: To: Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>

Hello All: I have been using quilts for summer sailing in the North Channel of Canada for many seasons. Down does not belong on yachts. Sleeping bags are OK, but laundering shortens their life. I've just purchased sleeping bags made of Polar Fleece at a discount outlet on sale for $20 . A cotton sheet sack liner would complete the deal. Wonder how they are rated temp-wise? They are also available in a thicker 'Berber' fleece. Should be ok for warm-weather car camping/boating in our temperate zones. One of our scoutmasters used one on a fall backbacking trip a few years ago and was too cold for comfort, I believe. Let's start a thread on textiles. Sorry, George --- Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET> wrote: > I know what you want; but don't know if you'll ever > find one that completely > satisfies your specifications as many of them are > contradictory: > > > We are looking for bags that are good from say 30 > degrees and up, > > lightweight, roomey, NOT mummy style, has to roll > up relatively small and > be > > able to fit into fairly small stuff sack say about > 13" X 22" or > thereabouts. > > Roomy & not mummy style for two people is unlikely > to fit into 13 x 22... > unless you go with expensive down ... but that would > likely be more > expensive than you want to pay and I would not > classify down as washable (it > is; but it is also a pain to wash... should be > washed by hand... and should > be line dried) > > > Would prefer cotton inside > > cotton make more bulk... > but you can buy cotton liners separately.... > > Perhaps you could buy a down comforter on sale... > (probably no sale until > spring)... fold it double and sew a long side/bottom > zipper into it... and > use a cotton liner... but this baby may still not > stuff to the size you want > it to... but if anything will it would be down with > a nylon cover... the > cotton liner could be washed as often as you like > and the down maybe once a > year... > > Good Luck, > > Bill