Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:21:22 -0400
From:         TieDye <boomin@EPIX.NET>
Subject:      Thanks Guys!!! Much Appreciated! Re: Sudden rough idle,
              Engine won't start

Thanks to all those who answered my e-mail. I spent a day tightening everything up in the engine compartment, replaced the fuel filter, and now it runs but very rough. A local mechanic tells me that I need to replace the oxygen sensor, but that light doesn't glow on the dashboard... I plan on poking around a little more as Joel Walker and Cliff gave me some ideas of other things to check.

Tie

At 11:47 PM 10/13/2000 -0400, you wrote: >I went for my weekly spin yesterday, engine ran great to my destination, >and almost home, About 3 miles away from home, engine started feeling as if >it were missing, some subtle surges, but seemed to be running fine (gauges >didn't show anything abnormal, no lights) but as I pulled in the driveway, >and left it sit running, it began to idle rough, then stalled. I've tried >cranking it a few times, and have done nothing other then run the battery >low. One time during the attempts to start the van, it seemed to turn over >for a second, idled very rough, and died. Gas smell from rear is quite >overpowering, as if engine isn't getting fire. > >any ideas of what to check before I start calling mechanics? > >seemed to come on quite suddenly, has run perfect (except for a slight tap >occasionally, which was diagnosed as a lifter, problem solved with >trans-valve oil) which causes me to think it's something electrical. > >Tie > > >TieDye >1984 VW Vanagon (1.9l) Owner > >Http://www.VWTrek.Com - Webmaster >Http://www.webtrek.org - Webmaster >E-Mail - boomin@epix.net