Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:41:03 -0700
From:         Nolan Hester <waywest@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      wireless Internet connection from Westy

Hi all,

I looked through the archives but didn't find anything on my quest.

I'm looking for advice/tips on using my laptop to connect _wirelessly_ to the Internet from the laptop in my Westy. This isn't a question about powering the laptop but instead how to connect wirelessly to the net. I've looked around on the Web but haven't found much on what's the best route to go: cable connection to a cellular? satellite atop the lugguage rack? I do lots of traveling in non-urban areas (Pacific Northwest, Rocky Mts.) and would love to be able to check my email and upload files to the net while camped in my van. Ultimate goal: do my work as a writer/editor from my Westy and never have to come into town.

Is there any cellular approach that will give me the speed to surf the Web and upload files? Will I find coverage adequate out in the wilds? And what equipment have you found most hassle-free?

As for satellite, the only setup I've found (Qualcomm's Globalstar Tri-mode Satelllite Phone) costs more than $2,000 all told. So that's way too pricey to be practical.

thanks for any help or URLs! waywest