Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:20:13 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: wireless Internet connection from Westy
Comments: To: t <vbob@PRIMENET.COM>

At 03:17 10/21/2000, t wrote: >For back to the woods types... carrier pigeons. Only they are extinct.

I've just been cruising in Scamp with a dual-mode (AT&T system) phone. I used a 3Com Megahertz modem card and $$$ cable to connect with Nokia 6162 phone -- total cost about $450 for the three of them. This is a regular modem connection, i.e. it shifts to analog mode whether or not there is digital service available. Cruising the Maine coast, I was getting 9600 bps connections but ended up throttling it to 4800 bps for better reliability. By leaving the modem audio always on I could hear when it started getting into trouble. I did not have an external boost amplifier but it would have been useful (changes transmit power from half-watt to three watts, no effect on receive). I used an external antenna (another ??$100 including cable to fit the phone antenna jack) hung in the rigging about ten feet up -- it was a "high feed-point" (no ground plane) 800 MHz analog antenna and definitely made a difference much of the time. I'd have put it much higher but had only 15' wire to the phone (swapping loss in the cable for better line-of-sight). People have used Yagi or other directional antennae to sight on a tower for better results from a fixed location.

I was able to use it underway -- however Scamp only moves at 5 knots. I had to severely throttle the amount of mail I get by receiving it at home at 15-minute intervals and then deleting all but personal stuff from the server, also by setting a very small limit on the message size that would be received without checking (15k I think I used). The system at home had to be checked regularly because if it gagged I would be quickly overwhelmed with mail on the boat.

When this was working properly, I could retrieve mail on the boat and only get personal stuff plus whatever had come in in the last 15 minutes. Large msgs I would get the first bit and then decide whether to pull the whole thing. My ISP uses a POP server (as most do), but an IMAP server would be much better for this sort of work as all your mail is stored on the server and only retrieved when you specifically ask for a given message or set of them.

By suppressing graphics I could do extremely limited web stuff. I was able to upload and download files to the web site I was working on. If I'd had to move more than a very few images I'd have gone ashore and begged a phone.

david ps -- in context, I can easily remember when I would have cheerfully committed regicide for a 2400 bps connection, let alone 4800...does that make me old?

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"