Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Oct 2000 11:53:53 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: red  light flashing
Comments: To: Jim Henry <jch@VNET.NET>

At 14:34 10/21/2000, Jim Henry wrote: >Darrel, > >Welcome to an unfortunately non-exclusive club. I have been chasing this >gremlin for over 6 months now, have made some progress and recommend reading >everything in the archives. I am pretty sure that is is a symptom that does >not have a single definitive cause. > >I have not completely fixed the problem, but seem to have made progress, I can >now get it to turn off by not starting my van until after the test cycle time >is up??? Very strange, I know, but here is what I have done, so far.

Marshall Ruskin observed this earlier -- turning the key off then on often stops the blinking. This of course points to the gauge itself as a likely culprit. I have two gauges sitting right here that have been on the shelf for say a year. Applying 10v to each from the bottom right (facing gauge back) terminal to the small ground terminal, one of them flashed for six seconds then went out. The other flashed indefinitely until I blew some "canned air" into it, then went out. Now both go out after six seconds. One of these gauges was in my '84, and would always flash for long periods in humid weather, unless I did the Ruskin trick...

david David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"