Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Oct 2000 13:28:35 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      water pump R&R

Hi list members! Last week I replaced, in my '90 Westy, the water pump, expansion tank, hoses to and from the oil cooler, the OXS, and changed the oil & filter. As far as the water pump goes, I would not have attempted it without the invaluable information on this list. From the vendors, VanAgain and The Bus Depot to the 'how-to' articles of Tom Carrington, Darrell Boehler, Bob Donalds, Marshall Ruskin and Karl Bloss, plus others like Joel Walker and those who posted brief MSG's about their experiences and problems doing this, I thank you. Since I am 90 miles from the nearest VW dealer and didn't know until the last minute that they can't ship coolant (hazardous material), I needed to save as much of the old coolant (it was new in March) as possible. I had 1/2 gallon of pre-mixed in reserve. I used a drill-powered pump ($4.95 at Wal-Mart) to suck coolant out of the overflow and exp. tanks and every pipe and tube as I came to them, saving it in a clean five-gallon bucket with lid. It worked great, I lost very little, and used the same method to pump it back in. For me, losing coolant is like losing blood, I don't like to do either and it always looks like you lost more than you really did! I had the usual problems getting at the socket head screws on the cross-over pipe. I had recently purchased a hex bit socket set (Wal-Mart, where else?), and after pulling the 6mm bit out of the socket, discovered that the shaft was 1/4" so I could use a box wrench on it. That and a little heat from a propane torch (watch out for the brown oil-sender wire) helped loosen the screw. The only other real problem was getting some of the spring hose clamps off.

Once everything was back in place and I started pumping the coolant back in, I used Darrell Boehler's air pressure method, but instead of a tire pump, used my B&D Air Station, being VERY careful to only turn it on for a second or two and watching the pressure gauge. Pressurizing the system turned up a leak at the Temp I sensor. The Temp II sensor had been replaced in March and I still had the sensor and 'O'ring which looked to be in good condition (this van is my only transport, so I had no way to run down to the FLAPS to get parts, hence I spent some time trying to make sure I had everything I would need - including food!). A quick msg to the list (thanks to the three who responded, one within 15 minutes) confirmed that the 'O' rings were the same size. I swapped them out, and after time out to change shirts and wash the coolant off of my arm and shoulder, continued filling. After that, everything went smoothly except for some tightening of clamps. There was never any air at the rad bleeder, and I continued to check and top up the expansion tank for a few days until all of the air was gone. It is running fine, no leaks and the mileage has improved. I have applied the list stickers (thanks Ken) fore and aft, so if you see a white '90 Westy around the Verde Valley-Sedona, Arizona area, it is probably me, there are not many in the area.

Next Spring, I will probably drain, flush and replace the coolant with Dex-Cool, which I can get (need you ask?) at Wal-Mart!

Hope this helps someone else and thanks again,

Jerry