Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Oct 2000 17:51:32 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      solution: window rattles

Lately I've been irritated by my driver's and passenger's door electric windows on my 90 Westy Syncro rattling on bumpy roads. They didn't rattle in the fully up or fully down positions; only the other positions.

I pulled off the door panel of the passenger side. Did quite a bit of poking around trying to find out what was making the noise. After quite a bit of dinking around I'm pretty sure that the noise is caused at the contact point between the white nylon/plastic guides and the metal channel that the guides move up and down on as the cable pulls the window. Seems to me that the nylon guides have worn over the years. (I think dirt/grit enters through the window seals and sticks to the lubricant on the channel and wears the nylon guides.) The resultant play allows the window make the rattle noise when road vibrations (and door slamming) cause the window (and guides) to move from back and forth. Also, there seemed to be another noise caused by binding between the guides and the channel.

Note; some posts to the list suggested that the problem was missing foam pieces that help to guide the window. I did find foam pieces behind the door locks and none had fallen down into the bottom of the door. They were not missing and did not seem to be the problem in my case.

I guess the ultimate solution would be to buy a whole new window motor/cable/channel/guide assemble... but that is $$$ ... my interim solution is to fit a spacer such that it applies a small amount of pressure between the channel and the white nylon guide to keep it from moving back and forth:

1. Remove door panel and plastic vapor barrier. Clean the channel that the white nylon guides run up and down on ... spray contact cleaner and wipe of old grease and dirt.

2. Notice the space between the bracket that bolts to the bottom of the window and the metal channel that the guides slide up and down on (this space is bound at top and bottom by two sections of the nylon guides). Notice the small round hole in the bracket that bolts to the bottom of the window. Also spray this hole and the area around it with contact cleaner several times and wipe as best as you can.

3. Manufacture the following pad/spacer to fit snuggly into the space in noticed in #2 above:

From the end of a black rubber stopper that is about 1/2 inch in diameter on the small end (found in hardware store... buy several to allow you to sharpen our carving skills) cut a piece about 1/4 inch.

Now cut out a circle from a piece of plastic from the top of a coke bottle or prescription bottle or some such TOUGH, lexan like plastic that is smooth, FLAT and about 1/16 inch thick... cut it to perfectly match the end of the piece of black rubber stopper that you cut out above.

Now measure the space mentioned in #2 above. Sculpt the piece of black rubber stopper that you cut above such that it will have a round tit on one end about the same diameter of the hole mentioned in #2 above and about 1/8 inch long.... and such that the distance from the base of this tit to the other end of the black stopper piece plus the width of the plastic piece is very slightly more than the width of the space mentioned in #2 above. Being careful not to drop it into the door cavity, hold the plastic/rubber sandwiched spacer up to that space (tit towards you) and make sure it is snug when inserted into the space, not including the tit on the end.

Now ruff up one side of the plastic disc and the end of the rubber stopper piece opposite of the tit. Make sure you leave one side of the plastic circle is smooth.

Apply contact cement to both ruffed up surfaces. Wait 10 to 15 minutes. Then press the two pieces together. Allow to cure over night before continuing.

4. Confirm that the pad manufactured in #3 above fits snuggly between the bracket that bolts to the bottom of the window and the channel that the nylon slider moves up and down on and that the tit is not longer than the depth of the hole in the bracket that bolts to the bottom of the window.

(you may want to manufacture a prototype (before gluing in place below)(removal of the prototype to glue in place will likely rip the tit such that it may not be usable) to test that you have sized it to the correct snugness to allow the window to move freely and still not rattle... too snug and the electric motor will work too hard; not snug enough and the windows will still rattle):

5. Carefully apply contact cement to the hole mentioned above (and area around it... I used a match stick several times) being careful not to get any glue on the channel. Also apply contact cement to the side of the spacer/pad that has the tit carved on it. Wait 10 to 15 minutes. Then press the spacer/pad into place such that the tit fits into the hole.

6. Run the window up and down once to assure that it moves freely. Allow the glue to cure overnight before using the windows again.

I decided not to lubricate the channel that the white nylon guide moves up and down on as I think it will just attract grit and then act like sand paper on the guide and the new spacer/pad that you just installed.

No rattles.... we'll see how long it will last... time will tell I suppose.... anyway the fix is relatively easy... the diagnosis and finding the right materials to use took a while longer.... at first I tried just the rubber without the plastic glued to its surface... but this seemed to slow the window down and create too much friction for the motor to work against... also I figured that the rubber would wear thinner quickly and the window would be rattling again in no time... that's when I had the idea of gluing some tough but smooth plastic to the contact surface... the plastic should wear a long time and the rubber when fit snuggly applies a small amount of pressure to keep the guides from moving around.

Later...

Bill