Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:21:53 +0200
From:   Robin Oomkes <robin.oomkes@SWIFT.COM>
Subject:   Re: Brand new to me 1984 Westy /AZ to OH Road Trip
Comments:   To: Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>

Stephen,

I've never travelled that part of the States either so I can't offer you any advice routewise.

A tip though: when flying out, bring a full set of backpacker's camping gear (without the tent and mattress). From experience, it's very frustrating to pick up a camper van a long way from home and not being able to really camp on the way back.

So bring sleeping bags, towels, a kettle and some pots&pans, Swiss Army knife, knives and forks, dish washing liquid, drying cloth, matches, some cups, flashlight, duct tape, WD40 (fellow listie Tom Hanlon taught me Southern Engineering: if it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape, if it don't move and it should: use WD40), and elementary tools for the interior: screw drivers, plyers, fuses, 12V testing light to fix any simple electrical gremlins.

Have a great trip and let us know how it went!

Robin '90 VW Vanagon Westfalia Atlantic TD The Netherlands

Stephen Steele wrote:

> Listees, > Well, after several months of looking at different Westfalias I have chosen > to buy an 84 Westy in AZ. Internet photos show it to be clean and well > maintained with 110 K on it ,with possibly new heads at 90K and a well > appointed interior. > I, again, offer my many thanks to fellow listee Karl Wolz for taking his > time and trouble to give the van a look over, basically confirming the above > impressions. Per the soon-to-be PO the engine was showing low oil pressure > at idle. But seems to have been solved by an oil additive and lower ambient > temps in AZ. > On Halloween my son and I will fly to Phoenix to inspect and finalize the > deal. We plan to make a fairly hasty retreat Eastward for 2000 miles. > Any advise on the best route home ...my auto travels West have only included > I-70 to the Rockies and points North, so I am not acquainted with the > Southern states/routes (there, all cardinal compass points have been > mentioned). My son has been to Oz and back , a couple of times and nearly > all points in between, but always flying. > My interests are varied and, besides VW's, include beer making, bicycling, > kayaking, camping; my son enjoys the same with a passion for art ( he says > we have to stop in Sedonia before heading East). Any other stops along > suggested routes will be gratefully considered. > We are looking forward to our first road trip in our first Westy. Our > fingers are crossed for a great trip! > > -- > Stephen Steele > '91 Caravelle...Hans > '81 Vanagon (long gone) > '98 GTi, VR6... first son (Eagle scout) and upcoming trip companion > '92 Jetta...second son (Eagle scout) > '68 Karmann Ghia...second son > _____________ soon to be driving 15 year old son #3(Life scout and going) > _____________ soon to be driving 15 year old son #4(Life scout and going) > > Chillicothe, OH

[text/x-vcard]

begin:vcard n:Oomkes;Robin Oomkes x-mozilla-html:FALSE org:S.W.I.F.T. sc;Market Infrastructures Team adr:;;;;;; version:2.1 email;internet:robin.oomkes@swift.com title:Senior Analyst fn:Robin Oomkes end:vcard