Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:04:38 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: woe is me
Comments: To: HERMANN DE BOER <hdeboer@BSSD.NET>

HERMANN DE BOER wrote: > > I am in shock!!!!! > Just got of the phone with my mechanic: > > new clutch @ 400$

$125 for the parts plus $30 to machine the flywheel if it needs it, the rest is labor for a 2-3 hour job. Shop around.

> new front wheel bearings @?$

Mechanic's little money maker here.

You most likely do not need all four wheel bearings unless something extraordinary has happened. Only if the seals have gone and allowed water to get into the hub or the last mechanic over tightened them should they ever fail. Driven through any water deeper than the axles lately?

I have NEVER had to replace a wheel bearing in 30 years and over as many as 211,000 miles (that's on my Vanagon, and they are still going strong). This is because I repack them and replace the seals with every brake job. I still haven't repacked the rear bearings in all this time (they are fine) but I will the next time I replace the CV joints.

> new hand brake cable @ ? $ (ripped them myself, I have a sloped driveway)

This can take awhile to replace due to the fiddling required and dealing with rusty components. Do you want to pay someone $50+ per hour or do the fiddling yourself?

Regarding the Eurovan, figure $750/mo payments over six years if you don't have a large down payment. AND, figure $300 to $600 for the routine service every 15,000 miles.

Good luck!

Stuart MacMillan