Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:15:05 -0500
From:         HERMANN DE BOER <hdeboer@BSSD.NET>
Subject:      woe is me part II

Did not mean to "diss" the van. Just needed support, someone to tell me that is is okay to pour all that money into a hobby. Received some great advice ranging from "do-it-yourself" to "don't drive through deep water". The Westy is my daily driver and we love it as a camper. I bought the van not because it is a VW, but because it is a Westfalia and represents a cheap way to travel and see this beautiful country. I admit, I am a German expatriate, learned to drive on a 73 Super Beetle, owned a 62 Bug, a Passat, 69 Bus etc,90 Corrado. In terms of reliability: I used to have a Hanomag Henschel minibus with a 240 Mercedes Diesel engine, turned it into a camper, and toured Europe in it. The Hanomag was ancient, beat-up, and ugly. But you talk reliable. It was a tank. Even front wheel drive. Until I can find a European designed camper here in the USA with the same Westfalia technology, I am stuck with VW. Don't flame me now. I love Westfalia. Cheers, Hermann de Boer Kansas City, Misery (used to live in Norderney, Deutschland) 87 GL Westy Eurospec Conversion 270 000 miles