Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:54:40 GMT
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire Repair - Tubes?

Tony -

One of the reasons the tire companies went to tubeless tires is to cut down on heat buildup. The tube always squirms just a bit against the carcass of the tire, so a tube-type tire gets hotter than a tubeless. Heat breaks down the rubber, so it doesn't last as long.

That said, it's still a fairly common solution, and you do have good quality tires. If these are getting fairly worn, I would be tempted to use the tire with the tube as the spare, and rotate the other four. If there is a lot of tread left, I can see wanting to keep it in the rotation for now, but be aware that it is likely to fail sooner than the others, so at some point I would make it the permanent spare

- Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, Idaho

<SNIP>

The idea of a tube inside of a tire not designed for one has me a bit puzzled. So before I reinstall this tire, which is one of a matched, regularly rotated set of five, I thought I would ask if this solution is a common one and your thoughts on the safety and reliability of putting a tube in there.