Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:07:39 -0400
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Emissions Problems/90 Vanagon Syncro

I posted a similar question about the empty cat a month or two ago. The list provided several responses saying that they were delivered this way new! Seems that VW equipped the Vanagons headed for California with cats, and rather than design a new exhaust for non-california vehicles, they just installed empty cats. This made sense to me cuz my cat showed no evidence that it ever had any guts in it. It was an empty can. The Vanagon was imported as a light truck not a passenger car. I think this is how VW could get away with this. Your emissions problems can probably be solved without the cat.

Gary ----- Original Message ----- From: Roger & Marilyn Ehret To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, October 23, 2000 11:04 PM Subject: Emissions Problems/90 Vanagon Syncro

HELP! I am having a problem with emissions on my 90 Syncro Westy. It failed the emission test here in WA, but only on the hydrocarbons at idle. It passed the hydrocarbons at 2500 RPM. It also passed the CO and CO2 at idle and at cruise. Subsequently, I found that the catalytic converter was empty! What's the best way to solve this as I can't renew my license tabs until it passes the emissions test.

Is it possible to lean it down on idle to pass for HC? Do I have to install a new cat.-- they are expensive. Does the engine run better, ie, better mpg and power, w/o the cat? Any experts on this subject out there? If I need to install a cat. to pass the test, anyone in my area (Seattle/Tacoma) have a cheap used one? Also, need because of rock damage: Right Main Headlamp (lens unit only) Left High Beam Headlamp (lens unit only) Thank you, Roger Ehret, Gig Harbor, WA (253) 851-6100 e-mail: ehretrm@msn.com

[text/html]