Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:32:52 -0700
From:         Steve Schwenk <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      2nd Optima Installed
Comments: To: "syncro@egroups.com" <Syncro@egroups.com>

Despite my lust for the Lifeline deep cycle batteries, I have reluctantly installed my 2nd optima. Only if I had the time to make the modifications to the drivers' side battery box necessary to fit the Lifeline 80 amp/hr deepcycle!

I bought the Optima from Al at ARC battery in Sausalito. 888-257-4417. He's the owner, the same guy i bought my first one from 3 years ago, and one of those rare great people it is just a pure pleasure to deal with. Plus, he knows his stuff. He sells his own brand of battery even. And he curt the terminals on my optima, and then melted the lead at the ends to reseal the terminal. When I told him that some say this voids the warranty, he laughed. "Not for me they won't. Maybe they tell the clerks that at a typical retail place, but never at a Marine battery shop where it is routine practice. Optima knows better than that." The price was $159. Not the lowest, but Al will be there if anything goes wrong, and that is more than worth the extra $10. Plus he cut my terminals for me.

This time around, I insulated the battery box with those rubbery computer mouse pads. This should help keep the battery warmer and more efficient in cold winter camping. It also provide some shock-absorbing protection. steve