Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:40:38 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: stripped stud hole
Comments: To: Bradley Flubacher <flubach@HOME.COM>

Well... Let me tell you all a story...

We had the dreaded stripped exhaust bolt hole syndrome on our '83. Top #4. Tried JB Weld, Tried 271 Loctite. Tried a helicoil. It would hold for about ten minutes then loosen right up again. Last year I disassembled the back end of the motor. Exhaust system, thermostat housing, etc. so that I could see what was what.

Now mind you, I have a v. complete tool box. Includes an industrial pneumatic right angle drill with screw in bits. I have bits that can make it possible to drill with about an inch and a quarter space. I tried for two days to make that drill fit so I could drill a STRAIGHT hole. It just wasn't going to happen. So the van sat. For a year. (I needed to cogitate on it...) Got myself another head (Thanks Karl!) just in case.

Fast forward to a couple three weeks ago.

Went back out and looked the situation over one more time. Motor in... man, what a PIA. Motor out... easy. So I bit the bullet and dropped the motor. Straight shot at the hole. Took my electric B&D 3/8" drill and opend up the hole to 17/64. Bought a M12x1.25 tap. Threaded the STRAIGHT hole and screwed in a Keen-sert. Did the unstripped hole too. Just 'cause it was right there. Put new M8x1.25 studs in. Bolted it all back together. and raised it back into the engine bay. (Didn't take it OUT, just lowered it on the jack.) Total time... about 6-7 hours. After it sat for a year because I was too stubborn to do it the easy way.

It might be possible to do it in situ, but taking it out made it worlds easier. Total cost? $4.26 times 2 for Keen-serts. $8.76 for tap. As opposed to $300+ for a replacement head.

Save yourself the agravation. Drop the motor and do it right. If you get the hole crooked, you really have a problem!

As always... YMMV.

Jim Arnott WetWesties Union, OR