Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:50:05 -0400
From:         Brian Cirulnick <techrat@VM.COM>
Subject:      Re: woe is me

>From: John <johnpatt@WARWICK.NET> >Subject: Re: woe is me > >From what I've read the Vanagon reputation has been damaged by the >following: > >1) Lack of regular, professional maintenance. Changing the >engine oil does NOT constitute a complete "maintenance" >service! ----------

I guess I should feel fortunate. Despite my lack of technical knowledge about the Vanagon, my mechanic is a 10 minute drive from where I live, has a '73 green and white bay-window as his daily driver, and has been doing VW repairs since '65 (the year I was born).

While he's not a Vanagon maven, he really likes my '85 because it sticks to the road and has power steering. So far, all the work he's done for me is great.

After replacing every damn sensor on the vehicle, all my power-loss and bucking problems have completely vanished. It was like getting a new engine! Suddenly, I can go uphill without having to floor it. I'm averaging about 20mpg. Not bad considering I'm on this machine's original powerplant. No major oil-leaks so far either. And the temp stays just a smidge above dead center of the LED.

And only God knows how many miles are on it -- the odometer has been dead since 76,000 and that was probably 3 owners ago. When I bought it, the previous owner said I should guess at 139,000, and I'll bet he was underestimating.

I've poured about $2000 into it since I bought it for $1500, so in all, it was still cheaper than buying any new car, and it has carried more loads already for me that it's paid for itself about 4 times over.

Not only do I feel confident about spending more money to keep the machine running, at this point, I've poured enough time into it to justify keeping it until it's wrapped around a phone pole. In other words, the machine would have to be a total wreck for me to give it up.

It will never be a show vehicle (too many dents, just a little seam rust), but then again, I don't care about that. The Vanagon is a hard-working, reliable, tough-as-nails machine, and considering its age and miles, I'd put it against anything else on the road.

So to the author that originally whined about the high cost of Vanagon Maintenance, I say, "if you don't like it - sell the vehicle to a VW enthusiast who doesn't see the expense as anything more than getting continued value out of aging equipment".

http://ipc.obsolyte.com/personal/vanagon.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------- E-mail: techrat@vm.com URL: http://www.vm.com/ http://www.obsolyte.com -- where the antique is elYte!!