Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:29:45 -0700
From:         Zach Kaplan <zakaplan@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Importing a Transporter/Eurovan diesel

I have an application that requires a van with lots of headroom, a long flat load floor, good fuel economy (30 mpg+), and good handling. There hasn't really been anything like this on the US market but I know there are plenty of vehicles in this category available in Europe and Asia. I ruled out the diesel Vanagons that were sold in the US in 1982 and 1983 because they don't have flat load floors, don't have high enough top gears and most of them are well used enough now to be in poor condition. The minivans don't have enough headroom to carry the type of cargo I need to transport and their fuel economy is mediocre. While the full size US vans meet the flat load floor and interior height requirments they get terrible fuel economy and don't handle well. The Eurovan sold in the US has most of the qualities I'm looking for but poor fuel economy and marginal interior length. The LWB version that was only sold in the US as a Winnebago pop-top camper would be preferred but those still have the poor fuel economy and are out of my price range.

So my thoughts turn to obtaining a diesel version of the Transporter or Eurovan. This may be the closest to my ideal vehicle that has been sold in America as I understand non-turbo 5-cylinder 2.4 litre versions were sold in Canada from 1995-1997 and some of these were Transporter cargo models in the LWB format.

My questions to the list are:

1. How common are the Eurovan/Transporter diesels in Canada?

2. Why did VW stop selling the diesel version in Canada?

3. What would be the best way to track one down that is for sale?

4. How complicated is it to import one into the US (California)? I imagine the bumpers and lighting meet US standards but the 2.4l 5-cyl. diesel was never sold in the US so this might make it difficult to get emissions certification.

5. Since the engine was never sold in the US how difficult would it be to find engine parts and someone to work on it? I imagine the engine is a 5-cyl. version of the 1.9l 4-cyl. diesel so some engine parts would be common.

6. I'm considering importing a used TDI Transporter from Europe as that would be a nicer, more efficient engine and there is probably more Transporter diesel selection on the used market there. Does anyone have experience with obtaining and importing one from Europe?

7. Should I just hold out a few more years for the price of fuel in the US to double so more efficient vans are introduced to the US market?

Thanks, Zach Kaplan Carfree since 27 September 1990