Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Oct 2000 22:22:57 -0400
From:         Bradley Flubacher <flubach@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: stripped stud hole
Comments: To: Joe Romas <jromas@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>

I went by your advice tonight, and it looks like I'll be successful!

I took some extra time to drain the cooling system and remove the thermostat housing. I also removed the metal protective shrouding from behind the engine. This gave me all the room I needed to drill straight into the hole. I tapped it out and inserted the coil. I gave the stud a test fit, and it screwed in quite smoothly for the first three or so turns, then started to tighten up! I suspect when I'm ready to get everything back together this should work out just perfect!

This was my first experience using a helicoil, and so far I'm pleased. What an excellent invention. A little pricey for the kit though.

I rented a right angle drill, and it turns out I didn't even need it. In fact, my 18V chordless drill worked out better because it was more managable than the big 1/2" porter cable that I rented.

Thanks, and I'll let you know if this does indeed work out.

Bradley Flubacher State College, PA