Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:10:40 +1000
From:         Chris Mundy <cwmundy@OPTUSNET.COM.AU>
Subject:      Tacho Cluster and Parts  for 89 Vanagon  Q. Cluster Housing,
              O2 Sensor, Harness Diagram, Things to look out for...

Hi Folks,

Some of you may remember that I recently posted a request for tacho cluster and parts for a 89 Vanagon (Caravelle In Australia)

A special thanks to those who responded. I had success with Interstate VW (http://www.interstatevw.com/ 2350 Meyers Avenue - Escondido, 92029 San Diego CA USA) who were extremely helpful. I managed to purchase a complete cluster for $100USD. It arrived today with my friend from the US. It seems to be in OK condition and looks as though its out of an 84 Vanagon. A bit of a clean up and detail and it should look as good as new.

Now for fun bits....

Converting to the Tacho Cluster.

1. Which Cluster Housings??

I've still yet to decide what parts to swap to what cluster? The cluster just purchased has the digital clock whereas if I put the Tacho into my current cluster, I have no digital clock except for the one in my Stereo. What's the consensus on the digital clocks?

2. O2 Sensor

The older cluster also has an O2 Sensor LED, whereas my Caravelle doesn't have an O2 Sensor. I presume the O2 sensor measures Oxygen for ...... ( fill in the blanks). Is there any advantage in having it? Do Australian's need an O2 sensors???

3. Harness Diagrams

I'm slowing going through Gerry and trying to find a wiring diagram or instructions, etc for this job. Does any one know a shortcut to this eg, year or has someone the instructions on this? Is it a plug and play solution? Were VW gracious enough to hardwire the tacho wire into all their wiring looms or do I have to run a wire to the distributor?

4. Things to look out for

Any other hidden traps for young players??

Looking forward to your responses...

Chris ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Christopher W. Mundy 89 VW Caravelle GL The Volkswagen "Enterprise" Canberra Australia Ph: 61 2 62419343 AEST Wk: 61 2 62446749 AEST E-Mail: cwmundy@optusnet.com.au ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~