Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:42:36 -0400
From:         bigw <bigw@GATEWAY.NET>
Subject:      CROSS COUNTRY TRIP

I have been lurking and benefiting from posts for about 6 months. I previously owned 2 84 vans and a 87 Westie. I sold the Westie and immediately regretted it. In August I bought a 88 Westie in San Diego sight unseen and flew from my home in Florida to pick it up and camp the west coast. It was just as the owner described it and I now have put 7,000 miles on it since then. It was perfect for driving and camping the coast of CA and Oregon. The only complaint is the power going up hills on I-5 in northern Ca. I did not want to strain the motor so had to do 3rd gear and 45 MPH as that felt comfortable. I also just changed my route back to the secondary roads and enjoyed the ride . I was wondering what list members in that area do as to speed up hill and gear. Do you have to shift down or mostly use 4th up hill? I really have no complaints about the power of the WBX and if I did not spend 4 days driving from CA to FL going through the cooling hose diagram in my head to predict which hose would be the lottery winner and blow in the desert I would have no complaint. Fortunately as I checked under the van for coolant leaks in Tucson I noticed a nice pee stream from the fuel line that connects to the firewall and feed pipe and managed to prevent a fire and also explain why my last tank of gas had shown a decrease in mileage! All this of course could have been avoided with a call to Bus Depot or Ken at Vanagain and the magic numbers on my VISA. If anyone does not think that replacing the fuel lines is nessisary or an absolute bargain considering the possible consequences picture a constant stream of gas being sent on to the starter motor and then blowing back on to the exhaust pipe in 105 degree desert cond.! There is a GOD or maybe I really just was destined to visit the PIMA air museum. I should have replaced all lines when I picked up the van but as I was not at home and with out a good work area I had not. Now that I am home I will do it ASAP. No real surprise or complaint against the Vanagon as it is 12 YO and 180,00 Miles. I am considering TIICO conversion as the reduction in plumbing would be welcome and the extra power a plus. I have not decided yet but I love the van and believe that there is no substitute for all of the excellent qualities as to handling, camping etc. Thanks for all list members insight and keep on vaning. Will