Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:16:49 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tacho Cluster and Parts  for 89 Vanagon  Q. Cluster Housing,
              O2 Sensor, Harness Diagram, Things to look out for...
Comments: To: Chris Mundy <cwmundy@OPTUSNET.COM.AU>

At 09:10 10/26/2000, Chris Mundy wrote: >1. Which Cluster Housings?? > >I've still yet to decide what parts to swap to what cluster? The cluster >just purchased has the digital clock whereas if I put the Tacho into my >current cluster, I have no digital clock except for the one in my Stereo. >What's the consensus on the digital clocks?

Speaking strictly for myself, a concensus of one -- I miss having the nice big analog clock in the cluster, but not nearly as much as I appreciate having a tach. The digital clock in the newer panels however is unobtrusive yet always readable -- not quite as accurate as the old (quasi) analog one was -- it had a rate of about a second every three months! The digital clock has an internal jumper (solder bridge) for either 12-hr or 24-hr display, change to taste. Be careful reassembling, I forget whether it is possible to put the polarizing filter in wrong, but if so you may end up with an invisible display, or even light letters on dark ground. The setting buttons on the clock often get pushed in too far and trapped so the clock is stuck in setting mode, easy to fix by removing or even loosening the clock.

You may also discover that the circuit foil with the tach only fits properly in one of the housings -- I forget what the issue was here, probably had to do with the circuitry for the dynamic oil pressure sensor which was stuck into a cavity in the back of the speedo for want of another place to put it. Or else the connector from the panel to the rest of the world. Incidentally, the speedo calibration is much tighter on '85-up US-spec vehicles -- with the speedo out of its housing you can see the little limit dots at the three calibration points, may be worth checking out.

>2. O2 Sensor > >The older cluster also has an O2 Sensor LED, whereas my Caravelle doesn't >have an O2 Sensor. I presume the O2 sensor measures Oxygen for ...... ( fill >in the blanks). Is there any advantage in having it? Do Australian's need an >O2 sensors???

It will sit there and do nothing, it's just a light that is switched on by an elapsed-distance device on the speedo cable. The sensor (if present and if you haven't used leaded fuel) detects oxygen or lack thereof in the exhaust stream, which lets the ECU dynamically adjust mixture based on what actually happened in the engine. Works extremely well so long as all four cylinders are behaving the same.

>3. Harness Diagrams > >I'm slowing going through Gerry and trying to find a wiring diagram or >instructions, etc for this job. Does any one know a shortcut to this eg, >year or has someone the instructions on this? Is it a plug and play >solution? Were VW gracious enough to hardwire the tacho wire into all their >wiring looms or do I have to run a wire to the distributor?

Woof! Without knowing the OZ-spec wiring it would be guessing. I can supply a table for moving the wires between pre- and post-'85 US-spec panels. My '84 did not have a tach wire, I had to run one.

>4. Things to look out for > >Any other hidden traps for young players??

The plastic on these panels has gotten very tender over the years, thank you VW. Be vewwy vewwy caweful! The circuit foil is delicate though not ridiculously so. Be careful not to flex it where components are mechanically crimped on, you may destroy the connection.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"