Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:32:26 -0400
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@ENTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: What tools do you carry in your Bus on a daily basis?

I carry a single toolbox with most of what I need for roadside and driveway repairs. That way I can switch it from one van to the other.

What I use most are combination box/open wrenches...mostly 10, 13, and 17mm and sockets of the same size. Don't forget a 19mm (or 3/4") for the spare tire bolt.

Various screwdrivers and one of those magnetic bolt-fishing tools with a mirror on the other end. Oil filter wrench, hammer, and 3/8" breaker bar (really cute, but useful...slip a pipe over the end for more leverage). All this stuff is Craftsman. If I bust something, I can take it back to any Sears for a replacement. So far, I've only had to do that with screwdrivers.

Also picked up over the years and in the box are 6mm hex socket (e.g. A/C compressor bracket, etc), 17mm tranny plug tool (Bus Depot), spark plug gapping tool, 24mm deepwell socket for oil pressure sender, OXS socket with cutout for the wire, pliers with cutting surface, needlenose pliers, vise grips, and really big washers as a screwdriver-type tool for the oil pressure relief valve.

I also carry spare fuel line (7mm and 5mm), worm clamps, etc. mostly left over form fuel line jobs and under the back seat as a logical place for the leftovers. They've come in handy for helping others.

Sounds like a lot, but it really fits into a normal-sized carryable toolbox (not a huge mechanics rolling box, mind you). :-)

-Karl

Karl & Kristina Bloss, Trexlertown, PA '00 Wannabusser "Julia" '87 Weekender "Bev" - 201K Miles '85 Westy Camper "Fred" - 39K Miles http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw - vanagon@makarov.com VW Shop List: http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/vwshops PA/NJ/DE/MD area VW bus "group" http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/pavanagon LINUX - for IQs higher than 98